Activities in the Westport Area
Entertaining activities near or within easy reach of Glenderan House Bed and Breakfast, Westport, Mayo.
Westport is one of two planned towns in Ireland and is one of the most attractive destinations to visit. It is unique in its character, blending the traditional and the modern. Westport offers a wide selection of high quality restaurants, excellent shopping facilities and lively pubs with traditional music. For the sporty types there are numerous swimming pools and gyms scattered around the town. There is also a top class Golf Course and the Great Western Greenway on which you can walk, cycle, or run all the way to Achill.
Beaches and Watersports
- Bertra 4 miles
- Lecanvey 6 miles
- Old Head 10 miles
- Carrownisky 14 miles
- Silver Strand/White Strand 20 miles
- Sailing in Clew Bay from Rosmoney
- Surfing from Carrownisky beach
- Boat trips from Killary Harbour, Westport Harbour
- Deep Sea Fishing from Westport Harbour
Every known species of fish existing in Irish waters has been caught in Clew Bay!
Boats can be chartered with ease for angling and cruising in one of the best locations in Europe. For the coarse fishing enthusiasts, there are a myriad of lakes within driving distance of Westport.
Mayo boasts some of the best salmon and brown trout in Europe with the River Moy fishery within an hours drive. Both advanced and less experienced fisherman are accommodated with ghillies, boats and fly fishing instruction readily available.
- Deep Sea – Clew Bay, Atlantic Ocean
- Boat trips from Westport Harbour
- Lake Fishing – Moher lake, Ballinlough lake, Beltra lake, Furnace lakes.
- River Fishing – Belclare Erriff Moy Carrowbeg and many more.
Pirate Adventure Park
- Pirate Adventure Park, Height Restrictions, Mini Zip Line
- Jump Around, Vortex Tunnel, Mini Ferris Wheel
- Disc Golf, Tiny Town– “Little Westport”, Hook – a – Duck
- Panning for Gem Stones, The Cannon Ball Run Slide
- The Pirate Queen Swinging Ship, Pirates Plunge Log Flume Ride
- Inflatable Obstacle Course, The Swan Pedalo Boats
- Mud Kitchen and Sand Pit, Westport House Express Train Ride
- The Pirate’s Den Indoor Soft Play, Pirates Playground, Go Karting
Outdoors in Westport
- Great Western Greenway where you can walk, cycle, or run from Westport to Achill. It is 42 kilometres long and begins in Westport and ends in Achill, passing through the towns of Newport and Mulranny as it runs along the coast of Clew Bay. It is an off-road trail intended for use by cyclists and walkers
- Bike hire, numerous
- Adventure events, numerous like Gaelforce, Westportif, Sea to summit, Grand Fondo
- Golf at numerous courses around Westport
- Deep Sea Fishing on Clew Bay and angling on numerous rivers
- Bird Watching Clew Bay Islands Westport Harbour
- BBC reporter Colin Stafford Johnstone of BBC Wildlife Camera man fame and living in WESTPORT and has featured all above in numerous programs about area
- Horse Riding at Drummindoo Stud, Carrowholly Stud,Bohea Stables.
- Swimming at beaches Bertra, Old Head, Lecanvey, Carrowniskey, Silver Strand.
- Walks & Climbing– Croagh Patrick, Greenway, Brackloon Wood, Bangor Trail, Skelp Mountain, Nephin Beg Mountain, Partry Mountains, Sheeffry Hills, Mweelrea.
Westport has something for all levels of walker. Take a leisurely stroll along the Great Western Greenway stretching from Westport to Achill Island a total of 42 km or complete the demanding Western Way, hiking across the magnificent Connemara mountains and along the shores of Lough Corrib, passing Leenane village before reaching Westport.
Walking around the area, whether it’s in the hills or on the roads or the marked paths on one of the 5 marked walks in and around Westport is a great pleasure.
Take in native wildlife on forest walks such as Tourmakeady Forest Trail or Nephin Beg Forest, or travel Tochar Phadraig – the ancient pilgrim path from Ballintubber Abbey through Aughagower to Croagh Patrick.
Western Way, Killary, Brackloon Woods, Great Western Greenway, Togher Padraig, Bertra Beach and many more signposted walks in and around Westport.
Clew Bay Islands – Westport Harbour
BBC reporter Stafford Johnstone living in area and has featured all above in numerous programs about area
Islands of Clew Bay
- Clare Island day trips from Roonagh Point
- Aran Islands day trips from Rossaveal
- Innishboffin day trips from Cleggan
- Innishturc day trips from Cleggan
Cycling around Clew Bay is another popular and healthy way of exploring this beautiful region. Bike hire from a number of Bike Hire shops in Westport, Newport, Mulranny and Achill with pick up in each of these places and return to Westport or return by your hired bicycle.
The Great Western Greenway – cycling for all the family
- Westport – Newport (12km)
- Newport – Mulranny (18km)
- Mulranny – Achill (13km)
- Drummindoo Stud
- Carrowholly Stud,
- Bohea Stables
- Croagh Patrick
- Skelp Mountain
- Nevin Mountain
- Partry Mountains.
Please ask at reception about:
|Courses||Holes||Style||Miles from B&B|
Championship Course Parkland
4miles - 6.44km
19miles - 30.58km
18miles - 30.97km
19miles - 30.58km
35miles - 56.33km
50miles - 80.47km
50miles - 80.47km
Some of the best local locations for traditional music in the Westport area.
- Matt Molloy’s Pub (Flute Player with the Chieftains)
- Hoban’s of the Octagon
- Johnny Moran’s Pub
- Cosy Joe’s Bar
- The Porter House
To name a few